Working With Schools
Illuminate Psychology offers a refreshingly clear, high impact and responsive service. The following information provides a brief insight into some of the things we can offer schools.
Whole School Development
Like you, Illuminate psychology is dedicated to enhancing the well-being, resilience and attainment of all children and young people in education. At a systemic level we recognise that this takes thoughtful strategic planning and sustainable action using your available resources. It also requires meaningful evaluation to demonstrate the impact of your efforts and to plan next steps. As an applied educational psychology service we offer specialist support to keep you moving in the right direction. For example, we can offer:
- System review and development: supporting you to map out, and plan for, your desired change in a clear and solution-focused manner.
- Staff well-being: supporting your staff to navigate through stresses and pressures in order to maintain enjoyable and effective teaching and learning environments.
- Appreciative Inquiry: A collaborative, action focused framework which brings the whole school together to discuss and work towards achieving a common goal.
- Children and young people’s voice: We offer a range of different approaches to gathering children and young people’s views so that you can incorporate their voice into your school development plans.
- Bespoke training and interactive workshops for school staff: These include understanding and responding to; disruptive behaviour, complex social and emotional needs, attachment difficulties, common learning difficulties such as working memory and visual processing difficulties, Dyslexia, Dyspraxia and Dyscalculia, complex needs such as Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD), Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD), Down Syndrome and Tourette’s Syndrome. Focus is placed on how to support learning. The strategies discussed are specifically tailored to the classroom environment and time is dedicated to planning next steps.
- Interactive workshops for children and young people: Children and young people are always very interested in exploring how they learn. They are eager to discover strategies to aid their learning and benefit from recognising that we all have techniques which support us to achieve our goals.
- Showcasing the impact of your efforts and planning next steps: We specialise in evaluating the impact of interventions and initiatives. This is presented in a meaningful and reader friendly format.
Coming together to discuss a problem is often considered an effective use of time, particularly when change is needed. Illuminate Psychology values coming together but believes too much problem talk can sabotage a group’s efforts to move things forward. In response to this we safeguard time for solution talk through the use of:
- Reflective teams: A structured and time efficient (approximately 40 minutes) peer supervision model. Ideal for both newly qualified and experienced colleagues to support each other with complex cases.
- Solution oriented meetings: A time efficient (approximately 40 minutes) action focused framework which supports a group to move a situation forward effectively. This framework is particularly beneficial to meetings which seek to clarify and agree on the support needed to achieve a desired goal such as a young person remaining in education.
- One to one solution focused consultation: A framework which leaves people feeling confident and empowered to move forward. This is beneficial to both adults and children alike.
Learning is a complex matter. We use robust assessment measures to explore the cognitive, emotional and attitudinal elements involved in learning.
Our assessment process is positive and forward thinking. It focuses on identifying the relevant support and strategies needed for children and young people to learn best and achieve their goals. We discuss assessment results with children and young people, teachers, support staff and parents to ensure all feel confident with moving forward.
Illuminate Psychology is committed to empowering children and young people to feel strong and successful about themselves, regardless of the difficulties they face. We are able to offer direct work with children and young people in response to the wide range of emotional and academic challenges, including:
- Enhancing confidence and self-esteem
- Understanding and responding to emotions such as anger, worry and frustration
- Understanding a diagnosis and what that means to the child
- Preparing for secondary school socially, emotionally and academically
- Preparing for life following secondary school